Sunday 11 December 2016

What's going on in Everblight mind...

Hello folks (and folkettes, the Legion is an open community which accepts women) !

At the moment, there is some kind of big tourney coming in January (yeah, that's in a long time), and I would like to have my 2 lists fully painted for this event, since there will be a Painting category (with PP pin, and y'all know huw mich me luv PP pinz) and also extra coupon for the participation prizes, because in all seriousness my painting is a table-top level, not award winning level.

Thus, to decide what to paint, I'm trying to build 2 brand new lists that don't look like stuff I've already played in Mk3, and damn it's hard. I've already played prime Thagrosh's brick with full Ogruns and a couple of heavy beasts, Kryssa with a flying circus and a side of Swordmen, Fyanna with Proteus (for 20" drags) and Lylyth 3 Assassination medley.

I know, there is other stuff to be played, just like I could bring some other Warcaster, but not a lot of them feel competitively good ? And even then, what do would I bring with them ? Most of your beasts are a bit pillow fisted for their point cost, most of our animus are irrelevant, half our light are still useless and there is still half our units that are not very good. Don't get me wrong, there are good, powerful choices in Legion, but I kind of feel like I would like to play whatever I want and feel like I could have a chance, instead of always going for the stamped models.

Every time I try to build a list, I try to follow 3 principles, since Legion is an alpha striking army. I need a Mat fixer, to be sure to hit. I need a Damage buff, to be sure to hit hard. And I need a SPD buff, to be sure to get the alpha strike. Prime Thagrosh is kind of the exception for the last one since he can pull a brick well enough, but still.

I believe that's why Absylonia 2 is so good in Legion right now: she can answer all of them by herself, so we don't need that much support and can invest in raw power. Lylyth 3 is also very good because she fixes both SDP and Mat/Rat with her feat. Most of the time when I check a Warlock, I look at what he can answer, and if he can answer 2 or 3, he's pretty good. If he can only answer one or none, is probably subpart for a competitive level.

From there, every time I try to build a list with a caster that can't fix Mat/Rat, I always feel the need to include a Seraph, because if my beasts don't hit when they go in, I know they will be dead next turn (except like Proteus, but he's so pillow-fisted !!). That's also why I found the Blackfrost so good, because they help with 2 of the basic principle I need to get !

With that in mind, I will try to build 2 lists, right here, right now. I would really appreciate all comments and thought about both my lists, and the subject of Hordes being less good than Warmachine, because I somehow feel that if I was only facing Hordes player with my lists, I would feel like a have a lot more of possibilities, but since my choices must trade into 10-12 pts good cost-effective heavies, I feel very restricted.

List 1

Lylyth, Reckoning of Everblight
- Archangel
- Typhon
- Nephilim Bolt Thrower
- Naga Nightlurker
Annyssa Ryvaal
The Forsaken
Blighted Nyss Shepherd
Min. Blighted Nyss Raptors
Obj: Stockpile

I've tried Lylyth 3 assassination before, but not with the Gargantuan. I feel like the threat range is a little bit smaller, but the list can take more punishment than one hit more glassy cannon.

List 2

Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight
- Typhon
- Carnivean
- Protector
Blighted Nyss Swordmen
- Abbot & Champion
Blackfrost Shard
Annyssa Ryvaal

In that list, I still have 12 pts, but I don't really know what to do with them... I would like a third big beast, but then I would lose some support, either Annyssa or the Blackfrost, and from experience, the current state of Thagrosh battlegroup is the maximum he can handle without any form of Fury management. Maybe a little Shredder party, with 3 little missile ? DEF 15 with FoW ain't too shabby...

If you want to follow me or comment on my list, you can do it on my Facebook Page !
https://www.facebook.com/TeamDurgil/

1 comment: